The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development announced the winners of the High Energy Cost Grant.
- City of Akhiok was awarded $1.2 million to replace their electrical distribution system.
- The Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation was awarded $1.1 million for weatherization work on the Kanakanak Hospital, including roof and skylight replacement;
- Nushagak Electric & Telephone Cooperative was awarded $3 million to install two new 2.2 MW diesel generators and other supporting generation equipment;
- INN Electric was awarded $1.3 million to replace critical failing electrical distribution line and to install 4 electric boilers to recover heat using excess hydro energy;
- Lake & Peninsula Borough was awarded $785K to complete the wind-battery-diesel hybrid system in Kokhanok, allowing the community to operate their power system with their diesel generators off when there is sufficient wind power and charge in the batteries;
- The Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium was awarded USDA funding to implement energy efficiency upgrades in multiple communities, including Koliganek in SWAMC’s Bristol Bay region.